DIARYINTRO & PHOTOS3 - 4 - 190118 - 8 - 19011 - 1 - 1902
1 - 5 - 19022 - 7 - 19021 - 10 - 19021 - 1 - 19031 - 4 - 1903

 

Pelorus Class Light Cruiser (3rd Class Protected Cruiser)

 

This was a class of 11 small cruisers designed by Sir William White (Director of Naval Construction, 1885-1902). White believed that if the weight available for armour did not run to protecting the ship's side with a belt of substantial area and thickness, it was best used on an armoured deck covering the submerged part of the ship, including of course magazines and main machinery hence the term “Protected” Cruiser.

In appearance she was typical of White's smaller cruisers with a raised forecastle and poop and two tall raked funnels and masts. A conspicuous feature were groups of large cowls for engine and boiler-room ventilating. These small cruisers, whilst reasonably armed for their size, were never expected to serve with the battle fleet even when new, and they spent their careers on overseas stations primarily for colonial 'police' type work. They were a smaller follow on to the generally similar Pearl class Third Class Cruisers.

Ships of the Pelorus Class were fitted with a variety of boilers to verify their performance. When new, the class generally exceeded their designed speed of 20 knots and were fast for their day, but by WW I their speed was reduced to 16 knots, cruisers by then were at least 10 knots faster. HMS Pomone and Pactolus had so many problems with their Blechynden boilers that they were retired several years before the rest of the class.

All ships of this class were due for disposal in 1915 had war not been declared.

 

 

PELORUS CLASS LIGHT CRUISER

 

Displacement: 2,135 tons

Length: 300 feet pp 313 feet 6 inches overall

Beam: 36 feet 6 inches

Draught: 16 feet

Propulsion: Inverted 3 cylinder triple expansion steam engines driving 2 shafts.

Speed: 7,058 ihp = 20.0 knots.

Crew: 224

Armament: 8 x 4in QF (8 x 1),

8 x 3 pounder QF (8 x 1),

3 Maxim machine guns

Two 18-inch Torpedo Tubes (above waterline).

Armour: 0.25in gun shields, 2-1.5in decks

Built by Earle at Hull. (Average cost £150,000)

Laid down May 1st 1896,

Launched July 15th 1897.

1st Commissioned March 7th 1901

Last commission Jan 1st 1913.

Sold for scrap on 26th May 1914

 

Click Here to  View the Photo Gallery

 

DIARYINTRO & PHOTOS3 - 4 - 190118 - 8 - 19011 - 1 - 1902
1 - 5 - 19022 - 7 - 19021 - 10 - 19021 - 1 - 19031 - 4 - 1903